The institute vision is an academic organizational and cultural model which effectively stimulates and fosters multidisciplinary engineering research and collaboration between students, faculty, staff, industry and government agencies. Our goal is to continually generate a vibrant nurturing environment where high-impact research in engineered materials, devices, processes and systems is conceived, seeded and matured to achieve national and international recognition.
The ICES mission is
- to catalyze research, education and outreach among departments in the College of Engineering and between it and other colleges at Carnegie Mellon,
- to identify, seed and grow new areas of multidisciplinary research in complex engineered materials, devices, processes and systems,
- to establish strong research relationships between researchers, industrial partners, and federal and state agencies,
- to provide a sustainable industry-responsive research and education environment to enhance technology transfer, and
- to maintain an intellectually challenging, yet supportive and welcoming environment, that encourages and enables our students, faculty and staff to achieve their best in a diverse community.